Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Whew... we made it!

So, Luke left our house last Monday at 4 a.m. to head to Iowa for a week of meetings in Des Moines. He finished up his meetings on Thursday and then headed to Nebraska to see friends and golf. He arrived back to our house in Virginia just after 5 p.m. Monday… and let me just say WE MISSED HIM!! The beginning of our week was off to a good start, except that Grayson had a bit of a runny nose. Well, that runny nose got worse, and along came a cough with it. By Thursday I decided I better take him to the Dr. to make sure we didn’t have another ear infection on our hands… so off we went. We were told that there was a lot of fluid in is ears, but no infection. To keep it from turning into an infection I could give him some Benadryl at night and have him sleep at a bit of an incline. She also said to give him Tylenol as needed because she was seeing a lot of older kids with colds and they were complaining if some ache ness. Friday I picked him up from the babysitter and not much had changed. When I got home I realized I had left his Benadryl at the sitter. We needed to make a trip to Target anyway… so off we went. When the lady rang up my Benadryl an error message popped up on her computer saying: Product Recall see Store Manager. So, she went to find her manager and came back without the Benadryl. Apparently it had been recalled but they had not gotten it off the shelves yet. So, I went back to get the Target brand instead. When we got home I got Grayson fed, gave him his Target Benadryl and was in bed by 9. At that point I had a chance to sit down and research this recall. Well, come to find out it was not JUST Benadryl… it was pretty much every infant medication I had in my house… Tylenol, Motrin, etc…. ALL of it recalled. At 9:15 I remember thinking, “Gosh I hope Grayson doesn’t wake up needing any Tylenol tonight!” Right there I jinxed myself because at 9:30 he woke up. Not only was he up, but he was mad!!! There was nothing I could do to make him feel better, he just cried and cried… and I knew I shouldn’t give him any recalled medicine, but quite a few times the thought crossed my mind. Finally I called my mommy… what was she going to do a million miles away? I have no idea, but I didn’t know what else to do. After long discussion back and forth about what could be the problem… is he getting teeth? Does he have gas? Did he poop today? I finally called Laura, Grayson’s sitter, to see if she had any non-recalled meds to give my son. The saint that she is, let us come over (in the middle of the night) and raid her stash. She had some generic Tylenol we could use… that was at 11:30. Grayson fell asleep on our way home so I kept him in his car seat when we got in the house. He slept for 1 hour and was back up again, and still mad. I didn’t know what to do, so I just laid in bed and held him until he finally fell asleep... at 3 a.m. The next morning I called the Dr. to get an appointment because there was obviously something wrong… took him in… and found out his right ear was now infected, and the left was not far behind! Obviously I was being a little too proactive taking him to the Dr. just days before! We stopped at Target on our way home and got our antibiotic filled, stocked up on Target brand baby drugs… and mommy got a latte from Starbucks. I called Luke and told him that I would wait until he got home before I went crazy, but then he had permission to take me straight to the “looney bin.” That night Grayson went to bed at 8:00 and slept until 7:30 on Sunday morning. Grayson is feeling much better, daddy is home, all is right again!

Dear God- Please watch over all the single parents out there- I have no idea how they do it!! And P.S. Thank you for my wonderful husband who I most definitely take for granted! It’s true what they say… you don’t know what you've got, till it’s gone. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! Yay for husbands... although we can't say that too loud, it might go to their head ;)
    Glad little Grayson is feeling better and mommy is getting a much needed break! Happy Mother's Day!!

    ReplyDelete